Saturday, September 15, 2007

This Worm's Books Nooks

Being a bookworm, the very first thing I visit when I find myself in the mall is a bookstore. Rarely, however, do I go out of my way to haunt a bookshop, unless I'm itching to get myself some books. Below is a list of the bookstores and shops I visit, and by visit I mean browse for, and sometimes, buy, books, whether I just happen to be at their locations or I go out of my way to visit them.

National Bookstore. Of course, there's always reliable, ol' National Bookstore, where you can find all the books you ever want, if they have it on stock, that is. But more often than not, they have your books on stock. They're celebrating their 65th anniversary, by the way, and thus going on sale until the 16th. Anyway, the branch I often visit is the SM North branch. I grew up buying my school stuff from this bookstore, as it sells not only books but school and office supplies, decorations for every occasion, and even movie and music discs. Yes, it has become a variety/convenience store, but still the place to go for brand-new books. The noise, however, prevents you from browsing in peace. The best you can do when you shop at this bookstore is have a title or author in mind before you enter the shop, ask a saleslady where the book's located, and immediately pay for it.

Fully Booked. It's the recently-opened bookshop at the same mall, SM North. I like this bookshop better than the former because it's library-quiet, and it's a bookshop. Thousands of books are properly lined up along shelves that fill up the entire shop. You're free to browse for as long as you want if you don't mind standing for hours while doing so. There's a children's/young adults' corner that gives off a cozy atmosphere, one can actually sit on the carpeted floor and start reading. There are more interesting titles, and I don't know if the books are more pricey than those at National Bookstore. I never got to comparing the price. I'm looking forward to a lasting partnership with this shop though. Yet another shop to go for brand-new books.

Books for Less. I visit the one located at Commonwealth Avenue. It has a safe and convenient parking space, right in front of the shop. Don't expect newly-released bestsellers to be on hand though; and if you're looking for famous titles or authors, you'll be in for a bit of a disappointment. The titles and authors sold by this bookshop are somewhat unheard of. But once or twice, I see a few names and titles I'm familiar with. The books are a bit pricey for a second-hand shop but they are in good condition so the price is probably worth it. Although I'm reluctant sometimes to shell out such amount for a book who's author I haven't heard of. They also serve you coffee when you've purchased this much amount of books, although I can't enjoy such freebie as I don't drink coffee. But you're free to while away the time in the shop (it has tables and chairs), and that's what I like about it. You can even read your newly-bought book inside the shop while having a cup of coffee. I don't know if a shopper ever finished a book in the shop, though. I think whiling away your time that long is unacceptable already.

Books & Mags Ever Gotesco. Again, I visit the one located at Commonwealth Avenue. The shop, if it can be properly called a shop, as it consists mainly of shelves of books situated at the far side of the mall's 4th floor, sells second-hand books at really low, low prices. I got a copy of Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island for $0.19. That's how ridiculously low the prices are. But you have to take the risk when you buy from this shop. The books have the names of their previous owners written on the page; yellowed parchments; sometimes, underlined or highlighted texts; and if you're unlucky, torn pages. Word to the wise: thoroughly check the book you're holding to assure it's the least damaged of the lot. Plus, you have to really scour the shop for quality titles because those that stand-out are romance novels. Still worth a visit though, if you're feeling a bit stingy. As to the books' condition...nothing that a plastic cover can't fix.

University of the Philippines Bookshops. I got two: one located at the University's shopping center; the other, at the College of Social Sciences and Philosophy (CSSP).

The former: It's located on the 2nd floor of the first stall to your right when you enter from the University Cooperative side. It sells really good titles, but a bit pricey for a student on a meager allowance. The books look and smell old. It's worth the visit and the price if only because of the quality titles. And if you don't mind an old-looking and -smelling book.

The latter: It's located near the orange-painted cafeteria, at the back of the CSSP. The store owner's friendly and will even give you further discounts if you're an old or returning customer. I like to think of this shop as a cheaper version of the pricey bookstores listed above. The books look like they're brand-new and some of the books I bought from this shop look like their pages have never been turned. It's quite hard to believe they're second-hand. Thus, the price is well worth it; never mind if it's just a hundred peso cheaper than the price of a brand-new book. It's open only during weekdays though and that's quite disappointing because I only have time during the weekends to gallivant. But if you really want to own books that look like new for a lesser price, hurrying over at 6 in the afternoon during weekdays is a walk in the park.

No comments: