Sunday, September 23, 2007

Bench & Bar III

Yesterday was the last Sunday of the Bar exam. Highly anticipated by everybody from the law profession, this last Sunday of the bar was as raucous as ever, the 'noise ban' notwithstanding. I wondered earlier how the Salubong would be this year, considering the order from the Supreme Court (SC) that all kinds of noises be prohibited, as the bar exams are to be regarded with respect and dignity as a court proceeding. But, hey, you cannot put a good party down.

It was the Salubong I have witnessed through my years in law school - bands, beer, party, noise, noise, and more noise. As early as 4.30 in the afternoon (exams officially finish at 5), I can hear shouts from across the street as fraternities, sororities, and schools cheer for their barristers who are emerging, one by one, from the exam venue. The rain did not hamper the festive spirits. When the clock struck 5, all hell broke loose, so to speak. The many school bands lining Taft Avenue started playing their respective music, the result of which were discordant sounds. I could not make out any particular tune. In fact, I did not think these bands even had a tune in mind: Play any tune; the louder, the better.

I opted to wait inside EGI Tower, our (my cousin and I) meeting place. My cousin warned me the week before that she and her friend would not emerge from the exam venue until the Salubong is over. From where I was sitting, I could see people running with beer cans in tow - to pour on their barristers; as if the barristers weren't wet already (it was raining). Ladies were scurrying with bouquets in their arms. Children from the Tower came down to watch the spectacle, dancing to the beat of the drum, their eyes alight with all the noise around them, thinking, maybe, that this event is one big parade.

The street party has considerably died down when my cousin and her friend came out. There were still vestiges of the event, though. Schools singing their hymns before proceeding to wherever to continue their party. Barristers and their supporters taking last minute pictures along the avenue; I even witnessed this group who stalled traffic for a good camera angle.

It was fun, the Salubong. I was expecting a subdued crowd, with the SC order and all. But I guess you cannot break a good tradition and this is definitely a good tradition.

No comments: