Sunday, April 25, 2010

My Movie Library

The Man In The Iron Mask
It’s probably more fiction than fact but a lot has been written about the probable identity of the prisoner in the iron mask. No, it isn’t Leonardo DiCaprio. Who would want to hide that handsome face behind a gruesome mask? Sadly though, Leo is just the face, never the actor, in this movie. He did not have enough acting prowess to hold his ground alongside the likes of Jeremy Irons. Still, this is one of my favorite movies.


Edward Scissorhands
I thought this movie was poignant, candy-colored houses and cutely structured bushes notwithstanding. Johnny Depp displayed such depth in his character, you can’t help but feel for him despite the freakish appearance.


Devil’s Advocate
I honestly couldn’t grasp the concept of the movie, so correct me if I’m wrong. Does the movie say that Keanu Reeves’s character is the devil’s spawn? And that the devil needs him to dominate the millennium? Assuming I got the concept correctly, a lot of questions still arise making the plot more muddled than it already is. In my honest opinion, the movie was too ambitious tackling this side of the story when it could have done ok just making the hotshot lawyer an advocate.


The Firm
Is it as good as the novel by John Grisham? I would say it’s passable. Although I thought it unfair for Tom Cruise’s character to have his cake and eat it too. The movie would have had more impact had they stuck to the novel’s plot. It was kind of funny going after the Mafia through mail fraud.


Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
Belatedly honoring Earth Day, I popped the disc on my player and was virtually entertained. It’s CGI at its best, thinning the line between animation and live film. Although the plot leaves much to be desired, I can deal with the fact that the Earth has a spirit and whatever action we do which destroys the Earth, destroys her spirit. Just enjoy the movie for what it is – a breakthrough in movie-making.

No comments: