Saturday, May 16, 2009

My take on Danny Gokey

Except for Season 3, I have never followed American Idol as closely as this season’s. From the very first audition date to last Wednesday’s (Thursday in my country) Eliminations, I was glued to the television and hyperventilating over each contestant’s performance. And for the first time in 8 years, I have found my favourite Idol ever in the person of Daniel Jay Gokey.

He came off as cocky, arrogant to some; but, undeniably, he can sing. He may not be the most creative contestant this Season - I take my hats off to Kris Allen on that category, and I hope he wins (hahaha!); he may not be the most versatile – that belongs to Adam Lambert (such a nice guy); he may not have the hottest voice – I’m all for Matt Giraud on that score; still, I find Danny’s charm magnetic, and he drew me like no other contestant did (not even Michael Johns of Season 7 had such an effect on me), enough for me to take the time off everything and write about him on my blog.

His Rat Pack performance was my favourite of his performances, and I totally agree with Randy Jackson when the dude said Danny could record songs in that genre. Plus, he looked hot in a suit.

But why, oh why, did he have to go screaming during Rock night? Granted it was not his type of music, he could have turned that genre to his advantage if he had an ounce of creative juices up his sleeves. But then again, he’s not Kris, so I rest my case.

Ironically, his best performance was to be his swan song. Nevertheless, it was a good season, made even better with him around. I was loving every bit of him – from that really stylish haircut to his trendy glasses. And I’m going to love every bit of him that’ll come.

Danny or no Danny, I’m so looking forward to next week’s episode of the Idol show. And it doesn’t really matter who wins, for me anyway. The top two deserve the spot.

No comments: